Wednesday, February 1, 2012

A New Beginning!

Starting a new degree (Social Work) and therefore looking into an awesome future of helping children and young people in their various situations to see that they too can have a bright future. How will I be doing this? Possibly mentoring but more likely making sure their living situations are great and to make sure that those who need to be heard are heard.

One of my very favourite songs is 'The Greatest Love' by Whitney Houston. What, you may ask, has this song got to do with new beginnings and with helping children? Below are the lyrics:

I believe the children are our are future
Teach them well and let them lead the way
Show them all the beauty they possess inside
Give them a sense of pride to make it easier
Let the children's laughter remind us how we used to be
Everybody searching for a hero
People need someone to look up to
I never found anyone to fulfill my needs
A lonely place to be
So I learned to depend on me

[Chorus:]
I decided long ago, never to walk in anyone's shadows
If I fail, if I succeed
At least I live as I believe
No matter what they take from me
They can't take away my dignity
Because the greatest love of all
Is happening to me
I found the greatest love of all
Inside of me
The greatest love of all
Is easy to achieve
Learning to love yourself
It is the greatest love of all

I believe the children are our future
Teach them well and let them lead the way
Show them all the beauty they possess inside
Give them a sense of pride to make it easier
Let the children's laughter remind us how we used to be

[Chorus]

And if by chance, that special place
That you've been dreaming of
Leads you to a lonely place
Find your strength in love

Every single word in this song speaks to my heart. In the last few years I have met and lost many people and have realised that if things are to get better for me, or if I want things to change, then I have to be the one to make those changes. I want to see communities where children in need are cared for properly. I want to help these children on their way to becoming the person they want to be, and to help them and their families out of their various abusive, neglected, lonely and poverty-ridden cycles.

The song states 'I believe the children are our future, teach them well and let them lead the way. Show them all the beauty they possess inside. Give them a sense of pride to make it easier. Let the children's laughter remind us how we used to be.' I am an ex-foster child. I grew out of the bounds of the system (i.e. when I turned 18, I was no longer considered a ward of the state.) As a foster child going through school, I was often tormented for my family situation and I thought that it was my fault; that somehow, if I could only be a 'normal' child that I wouldn't get teased any more for where I came from. I remember how much I looked up to my teachers and [some] of my case workers and thought about how great it was that they believed I could do anything when I was to grow up. I still remember one of my Teacher-Aids who used to give me extension work at school because I went through the class-work so much quicker than all of the other children in my grade (and the grade above me, for that matter.) Her name was Mrs. Nott and she specifically told me one day that I could be anything I wanted to be; that I might have to work a bit to get there, but that I could definitely be anything I wanted. I still remember the look in her eyes and her body language when she was talking to me. I look back on that day now and think about the way she communicated this to me. Every bit of her believed what she said. It was in her eyes, her smile and her guiding me through learning ratios, multiplication and division; through books for children much older than me; through the exams I used to sit and produce great results from.  She was just one of the people who I look back to my childhood and think 'Wow, they've influenced me and inspired me!' Teachers such as Mrs Nash, Miss Geipel, Miss Burnie, the Nun who taught me the beauty of poetry, Mrs Mac; people such as Ron, Tina, Robin, and Trish. These people were (and still are) some of the most genuine people I have ever met.

It's taken me a long time to discover what career exactly that would enable me to help individuals and/or families to get to a better place, or at least see that there is something achievable out there for them that can lead to a brighter future for them. I've seen so many children in and out of care who had a much brighter future ahead of them, who've been wrongly done by and have used that as a way to stay in the vicious cycle of abuse, neglect and torment; and unfortunately, I haven't seen too many come out the other end to achieve their full potential, or even part of it. I'd like to be the person to help them I know that maybe I can't change the world. I know there will still be people out there who I won't be able to help; heck, there have been people in the past I haven't been able to help or haven't realised they needed help in time. I'm not looking to change the whole world; just the worlds of families and individuals by giving them guidance, being a role model for them and providing the assistance that my future job will require.

I am really looking forward to studying social work and to helping people in need. I know it's going to be a while until I can get to exactly where I want to go, and I know there will be ups and downs; life is full of rollercoaster-type behaviour, events and experiences. I am not, however just looking towards the prize at the end; even though it will [hopefully] be great. I am looking forward to the journey to come. Essays, lectures, tutorials, life events, meeting new people [again] and yet another faculty (This transfer means that I will now have been in all four of the faculties of my uni at some stage!) I am excited! Nervous, sure, but very excited as well!!! I can't wait to see what this has in store for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment